Monday, September 28, 2009

Climate Change!!!

Pick up the newspapers, one of the news items that invariably appears on the the front page will be on climate change. From RK Pachauri to George Bush to G20 Ministers to Lalu Prasad Yadav, all have voiced their opinions on this topic. It is also very much favoured for Group Discussions. But any discussion follows a very similar trail. Climate change - icecaps disappearing - sea level rising - Kyoto protocol and CO2 - Actions needed. Period.
I would like to present a slightly different case on climate change. I am born and brought up in coastal Kerala where the climate throughout the year is constant and decent. Mercury is always between 20 and 35. Job took me to Hyderabad where the temperature varies from 10 to 40 degrees. MBA brings me to Ghaziabad where it varies from 0 to 45. Foreign exchange program has taken me to Paris (Yes, the capital of France.. not the one in Chennai :D ) where the temperature varies from -10 to 25.
Probably because of the fact that I am brought up in Moderate climate but have to survive in Extreme Climate places there are multiple issues that ensue. The troubles include running nose, fever, allergy, cough etc etc. There is no world body to discuss and provide relief for these issues.
The worst of problems that I have been facing has been throat ulcers when winter starts. As Diwali and Dusshera generally coincide with the onset of winter I generally end up in bed during these festivals. The difficulties during throat attack are multiple. The first is that one has to survive on juices and salines as one cant swallow. Expressing ideas is not possible through sounds, one has to use actions to communicate. No wonder my body language has improved over the last few years. This essentially means that I dont make or pick up calls during the attack time.
This time round I had to face another hurdle. Till last time when I used to tell that I had throat ache I used to get sympathy and a lot of attention. This time the scene was different. As throat ache is a symptom of swine flu the moment I told that I had throat ache, people started isolating me. I was looked upon like a small pox vector. Barring a few well informed friends who did not know the symptoms of swine flu, I was deserted in the entire college. Shit happens in life.
Generally the ulcers stay for 3 to 4 days. This time round it troubled for longer. The doc tried a round of B-complex and then lactic acid capsules. For the bacteria they were like RP Singh deliveries - naive and innocuous. The doc finally had to resort to painkillers and stroooooong antibiotics to get me back to normal.
All because of climate change. Happy that the next change will be only in Feb/March!!

1 comment:

  1. Lalu yadav, george bush ennokke paranjappol naan vicharichu valla loka karyam aayirikkum.. ninte thonda vedanakku enthinaada avaruda abhiprayam enh? Chumma poyi vaaya onnu koplichu kalanjittu poyi padichaal pore... [:)]...
    But yes.. i figured that it is because we have been brot up in the moderate climate.. we are affected on every transition in a year.. I also get skin dryness in addition to all this.. Yes.. we need ppl to discuss in a larger forum and post in newspapers and find a remedy if possible!!! [:)]
    Cough! Cough!! Sorry.. climate change here.. A bad throat ache.. anyways good write-up..

    ReplyDelete